Have you started your holiday shopping yet? Friday, November 25 marks Black Friday—the unofficial kick-off to the holiday shopping frenzy. While many of us scour the sales racks or take our hunt online searching for the perfect gifts, it’s important to keep one thing top of mind: how is your purchase impacting your community?
How and where we spend our money shapes everything around us: from the type and variety of products that are available to us to the economic strength of our cities, towns and neighborhoods. A good bargain feels great—but what does it really cost us?
There are so many great reasons to support our local shops and businesses, and that includes the bars and restaurants that bring the fun and flavor to our communities. Our local eateries and watering holes are the places we build our memories, celebrate life’s milestones and gather with our loved ones for that special night out.
You can never replace the memories you made with your friends at your pub or coffee shop. When you’re away, one of the first things you’ll miss is the Thai soup or crispy fries from your favorite restaurant back home—you won’t be able to find anything like it anywhere else.
Our local pubs and restaurants are more than just places to eat and drink.
We can help support our local businesses this season by participating in Shop Local Saturday on Saturday, November 26. All you have to do is shop at the unique businesses that make your community special—and that includes dining or socializing at your favorite local hotspot.
Besides being a great excuse to enjoy a day or evening out, there are many great reasons to shop and dine local:
- You don't have to travel One of the best parts about supporting your local businesses? They're LOCAL! That means less time you’ll have to spend travelling and more time to enjoy the things you love.
- You won't find it anywhere else Local businesses offer unique and one-of-a-kind products and services. You’ll never find another café that makes chai lattes like your local coffee shop.
- You'll create jobs Small businesses are responsible for most of the new jobs created in the USA. By supporting your local shops, pubs and businesses you're helping to bring new jobs that will directly benefit your neighbors—or maybe even you!
- You'll find a bargain Local businesses typically offer products of a higher quality and are often open to price matching or bartering.
- You'll benefit from the investment The money you spend at your local business goes back into your community. A thriving local economy can even lead to lower taxes, which means more money in your pockets.
- You'll get better customer service A lot of local businesses are run by family and friends with a deep and personal connection to their products and services. This often means you’ll get superior customer service from business operators that will go above and beyond for their customers.
- You'll increase your choices It's simple: the more that you buy close to home, the more that will become available to you close to home.
- You'll help the environment Locally grown and raised food and goods don’t have to travel as far to make it to the consumer. Which means fewer emissions from shipping and a smaller impact on the environment.
- You'll feel good about it What's not to feel good about? You’re supporting your community, helping the environment and saving money
- You'll get to know your neighbors There's a reason Cheers was such a popular television show; there's nothing like walking into a shop or pub where everybody knows your name.
You can help encourage members of your community to shop local by downloading our FREE sharable graphic and posting to your social media sites.
controlPLAY salutes the local businesses that make our communities vibrant. Support your neighborhood and shop small on Saturday, November 26.
To learn more about how controlPLAY can help you boost your bar or restaurant’s bottom line by $1000/month, visit controlplay.com or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org